Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
A Level Sand Dunes fieldwork help

Author Topic: A Level Sand Dunes fieldwork help  (Read 4385 times)

Evlinda

• View Profile
A Level Sand Dunes fieldwork help
« on: March 25, 2010, 07:52:03 AM »
Hi all!

I'm taking my yr 13 out straight after Easter to do some fieldwork at Camber Sands looking at the sand dunes (as we've been doing this as one of our ecosystems this year for the same named unit) and I've never done fieldwork on sand dunes before... Can anyone help me out and suggest things they could do?

I thought they could do some transects to compare how it changes over space- but am a little stuck on how they go about measuring things!

Any ideas would be very welcome!

Thanks in advance.
Head of Geography
2nd in charge of Humanities faculty

Judith R

• View Profile
Re: A Level Sand Dunes fieldwork help
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 07:56:23 AM »
I last taught this about 20 years ago so not exactly up-to -date, but I still remember doing a transect of Holy Island when I was a student. We used clinometers etc and did veg quadrats, and it was really satisfying when we drew up the results and saw that the vegetation and profile fitted with the theory.
That was in 1981, so it must have been good as I can't remember all the myriad of fieldtrips I've done.
CGeog
Lead Practitioner for Teaching and Learning
Key Practitioner for Geography
@JudithRoberts

Stephen Schwab

• View Profile
    • Visit the New Geography Teacher's Discussion Group by Clicking Here!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 08:17:42 AM »
Years of doing field work at Ainsdale & Formby have taught me to suggest a transect from beach to climax veg or as far as the dune system goes inland.
This allows students to compare the actual against the theoretical dune succession sequence.
Also aim to measure slope angle changes and as many climatic factors as you can along the transect line.
I arranged a talk from the Ranger about human pressures on the dune system and management strategies.
If such a person exists in your area try to book them for an intro talk or tap them up for management plans + students can monitor human impacts on their transects.
I have species recognition sheets and data recording sheets if you want them. let me know. :)
Sand dunes are a great field work location, your students will love it! You too!
GA Consultant.
Teaching and Learning Consultant.
GA SPC Member.

Tris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 08:46:48 AM »
Dune transect - same method as beach profiling
Veg quadrats
Light levels
Wind speed
Compaction
PH test
Organic matter - if you have access to an oven of course!

Andrew Stacey

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • The Geography Department
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 09:03:48 AM »
Agree with the above, all worked well at Studland.  Worth getting a plant key from the FSC http://www.field-studies-council.org/publications/pubsinfo.aspx?Code=OP43 and presenting changes on a kite diagram

Photos of work at various stages at http://www.stacey.peak-media.co.uk/PURBECK/Studland/Studland.htm

lovely on a sunny day :)
Retired Head of Faculty
Home Tutor

IanMurray

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 09:12:45 AM »
Infiltration rates?
Hygrometer?

Mike Jones

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 06:00:23 PM »
Using quadrat, % bare ground, % different plant species, maximum vegetation height.
Microclimate - wind speed, temperature, humidity - preferably all done simultaneously, though that isn't practical
Soil depth, infiltration rate, pH test, % organic (take sample & test in lab back at school)

I've also done a simplified version, taking a 10m transect across 3 footpaths - 1 near beach/car park (possible lots of trampling, low biodiversity)
2 long way from beach in amongst trees (possibly high biodiversity) 3 somewhere in between. Worked quite well at Studland last October. Basically looking at effect of tourism on biodiversity.

Evlinda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 05:20:39 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Stephen could you send those to me? Do you email or will you send them? My email is evatellick@hotmail.com

Head of Geography
2nd in charge of Humanities faculty

geojo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 09:06:07 PM »
Hi
I'm having the same problem and am in need of some help so could I possibly have a copy too? Thanks in advance, Jo

anything