Author Topic: AQA A Controlled assessment - key concepts?  (Read 2348 times)

KateW

• Established Member
    • View Profile
AQA A Controlled assessment - key concepts?
« on: March 08, 2010, 08:00:39 PM »
Yet another CA question I'm afraid!
The exam board gives us a theme for the CA - 'Investigate land use in an urban area' - and from that we've made a title for the students based on how and why land use and characteristics change in the 3 urban areas...
Fieldwork was last week, data has been collected, now we start our mammoth 22 lesson CA write-up!
First section of Mark Scheme is based mainly around identifying 4-5 key concepts which will underpin the study, and which apparently the students are supposed to do themselves... the exam board, however, doesn't appear to give any guidance as to what they THINK the students should come up with (or have I missed something here?!)
We (the teachers) can come up with something (land use changes, characteristics change, environmental quality changes, etc), but how are 14-15 yr-olds supposed to do this by themselves? Also, what WE may think are appropriate concepts in our school may not be the same as some other teachers in another school might think are appropriate! It's all a bit too woolly for my liking...
Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
Thanks.

Kate

Kim

• Established Member
    • View Profile
Re: AQA A Controlled assessment - key concepts?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 08:41:20 PM »
Kate,just out of interest what title did you come up with? Are you expecting studnets to all use the same title?

KateW

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 09:46:22 PM »
‘What are the characteristics of the Central Business District, Inner Zone and Suburbs, how do they compare and contrast, and what are the reasons for these characteristics?’

Yes, all 120 are answering the same thing!

IanMurray

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 09:24:49 AM »
I think I'd have approached this before doing the fieldwork by posing a series of key questions based on concepts ( hypotheses/expectations).

In your situation I'd now go back and create them through reference to the data that you have collected

ie)

Env Quality increases with distance from the CBD

Building density decreases etc

Commercial activity such as shopping is located mainly in the CBD

Ped flows decrease.....

( they can do some of their own)

And for each one I'd be thinking about the sort of techniques that they could use so that there is balance and a range, including some more complex ones. Not sure how much help you can give with this but surely some clues as to options are permissible.

I'm assuming that you have to provide base maps, graph paper and so on ( maybe some templates for pie charts, line graphs, scatter graphs???)

Can you leave some Spearman's Rank sig tables strategically lying around??

Probably teaching you to suck eggs but I'd plan it in a tabular form going across a page so that each key question has a concept, has a data collection method with sampling, and then a technique for presentation and analysis. probably also a column for limitations/suggested improvements.

Mind you I don't have the new mark scheme so adapt accordingly to main command words sections.

I'd say thy to make it as structured as possible so that they have that framework to work with.

Ian Murray

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 09:42:05 AM by IanMurray »

cu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 03:18:08 PM »
kate

I found it helpful to run our hypothesis past our CA adviser, (who has been really helpful), she suggested to keep it tightly focused with it being such a short piece.  I suggested the 4-5 key concepts our pupils should use but they could use others if they chose to.  Don't forget that your 4 hours prep time before the fieldtrip is included in your 20 hours.  I find the eg of the time allocation from the meeting very useful, it all seems to be in the planning I think!

Hope this helps

KateW

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 08:41:29 PM »
Thanks for this.
Ian - I'm not sure whether we can give them that much help. It states in the spec that WE come up with the key question or hypothesis, and the STUDENTS come up with the key concepts! Interesting that cu says they gave them the key concepts, though - if that's the case then great! It does also say in the spec that we're allowed to help them with their writing of their Intro and Methodology, and their data presentation - it's the High Control we can't help them with.
We did teach them these main ideas before they went out, and sort of hinted that it would be 'very useful' if they wrote them all down...!!!! At the mo they are collating data, but as soon as they start the write-up I shall remind them of the purpose of each data collection method.

IanMurray

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 08:46:39 AM »
Kate,

If you can't give them the actual concepts can you at least remind them of the areas that they looked at so that they can explain the what and why of what they expected. I mean it terms of headings for the main areas of the enquiry.

Pedestrian Flows - "you need to say what you expected to find and the geographical concept ( idea) behind this".

Once again, it seems as though across the country there are going to be all sorts of differences in interpretation and practice. In the end I bet that the Mods will be told just to assess what they see unless there is clear evidence of blatant misconduct.

What happens if under controlled conditions one student comes up and asks you for something - let's say Sp Rank sig tables - I assume that some of the others notice this and will then ask for the same?

Good luck to you all!

Ian Murray

cu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 11:53:31 AM »
Kate,

Just wondering, are you referring to pg 22 of the spec?  It says we can 'advise candidates on relevance of materials/concepts'?  As Ian says, it's all down to interpretation isn't it! 

It may be worth an email to your advisor- I have emailed ours several times as these kinds of issues have arisen

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 03:55:29 PM »
Further to what others have said, I think the intention was probably to get away from what some moderators seem to have seen where it was apparent that whole classes seem to have had the same words in more or less the same order.

I did sit through some of the AQA A presentations at an early stage, but I don't remember exactly what was the aim. I'm sure the chief mod Keith Bartlett (whose e-mail address was given out at some of the presentations) will be happy to answer questions as well if your advisory mod isn't handy.
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday