Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Student Voice

Author Topic: Student Voice  (Read 2041 times)

Graham

• View Profile
Student Voice
« on: February 02, 2010, 08:46:10 PM »

Not strictly geographical.. but we asre looking to develop greater use of student voice across the school. Can anyone provide examples of how they are currently using this- any ideas welcomed. Thanks in advance.
Senior Assistant Headteacher.
Line Manager-Newman Sixth Form College
Cardinal Newman Catholic School, Hove
C.Geog
GASQM 'Centre of Excellence'

cheeseplease

Re: Student Voice
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 09:06:08 PM »
community cohesion conference......all pupil voice based.
use of handsets (voting) attached to IWB for opinions
using yacapaca for surveys of pupils.

swhitch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 09:11:29 PM »
We use feedback on the course (anon. Questionnaires) usually at the end of:
Y7 - was it like they thought it was going to be?
Y9 - what have they enjoyed / not etc. may be looking to link to recruitment
Y11 & Y12 as for Y7.

Some work done to ask about new specifications before choosing etc.

Colleagues uses focus groups in relation to some topic areas.

Positive - feel good factor when positive responses
Negatives - chance for students to gripe about things that they may not fully understand the reason for doing
Also the potential for perception to be way off reality in relation to teaching and learning strategies etc.

Some students being used as observers of some lessons for some colleagues who have volunteered. Not widely accepted though.

Stuart
FRGS, FGS, C.Geog.
Head of Geography

stevenreader

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 09:15:12 PM »
Pupil lesson observations - they develop lesson observation forms of their own - we only allow observations for sections of a lesson though
Pupil surveys with pupils providing the analysis and results displayed in department
Pupils identified as 'leaders' - mostly G+T - voice opinions in department meetings

All seems to work fairly well and ideas have been used across the school now!

GZT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 09:21:07 PM »
We have student voice groups, students from all year groups volunteer to be representatives for different subject areas and meet on a halftermly basis, with extra meetings when necessary. A member of each department works with them and ultimately with assisstant head in charge of teaching and learning. This year they are looking at ways they can present their subject areas to our primary schools. They have done a presentation to the governors, I believe. Last year they worked on teaching and learning activities they liked, making their own resources and working on new activities. It's a shame because they haven't been followed up. I think prior to that they did lesson observations, which did not come to anything either.
Like the idea of the students being ambassadors into our primaries. Only hope it happens.

edge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 09:27:49 PM »
We use survey monkey in the department to do anonymous questionnaires to evaluate courses.  Useful to split Y9 into non-GCSE and GCSE for comparison.

Focus groups to evaluate field trips - this has proved invaluabe and we have completely overhauled the Y10 trip in response to this.

Consultation on option choices for new GCSE and A Level.

Wide consultation with Y9 last year to decide on new GCSe course.

I've also had kids evaluate resources/books etc. on evaluation before purchasing.

Also informally about new activities/teachign strategies.
Head of Geography
Co-Chair of GA Secondary Phase Committee

morgangrinder81

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 09:29:02 PM »
I've just done a survey on survey monkey.  Very easy to do and interesting results!
It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win

David Rogers

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 06:10:31 PM »
What about setting up student learning groups? We use these and they advise about the topics COMING UP (instead of what we have done). Meet once a half term, cakes and coke, and let them talk

Ginger Wookie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 07:09:36 PM »
A teaching and learning focus group - it is likely to cover a number of points raised here.  However, a few more.... i picked up from some INSET today

What makes an outstanding lesson?
How do students measure progress in lessons? (discussing student perspectives)
How can we make classroom's feel "safe" or an environment for risk taking? (creating the environment and relationships to encourage outstanding lessons)
Trialling new initiatives in smaller groups and getting students to write schemes of work.  I heard of this one today...creating a scheme of work "failing well" (i.e a scheme of work showing students why it is ok to fail and how to learn from failure and mistakes... moving from a fixed mind position to a growth mind position)

Graham

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 07:53:12 PM »

Thanks everyone for your ideas so far- brilliant.
Senior Assistant Headteacher.
Line Manager-Newman Sixth Form College
Cardinal Newman Catholic School, Hove
C.Geog
GASQM 'Centre of Excellence'

whiskeyhj

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
I've used surveymonkey and like has already been said it's very easy to use and can be useful. Other things we do are reviews at the end of topics where students suggest activities they enjoyed/didn't and why. They then get to suggest a possible idea to make activity more interesting next time. It's very simple and forms part of the assessment/unit feedback. Class teachers draw out trends from class and as SL I collate and then we use it to help improve planning/learning activities.

anything