Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Residential Trip Help / Advice

Author Topic: Residential Trip Help / Advice  (Read 1218 times)

Miss RX

Residential Trip Help / Advice
« on: February 03, 2010, 07:30:13 PM »
Hi,

I'm after some tips form those of you who are experienced in running residential trips.

I want to set one up for my GCSE students, however have never run one before so I don't have any good links with and places to go that are good value for money and that will be relatively easy for me to organise as its my first one - a guided trip would probably be best - or at least one with the opportunity of a preview visit.

I am based in the West Midlands and have lots of very city based students so I would love to take them to the coast - but to do a combination of coastal and urban work.

Do any of you have any recommendations about good venues / contacts to use?  I have searched the internet and the FSC seem expensive.  There are lots of other places but I'd prefer to use one which has been recommnded to me.

Any suggestions / help / advice would be most appreciated.

Many Thanks

Ro

edge

• View Profile
Re: Residential Trip Help / Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 07:41:59 PM »
We use Kingswood and the kids always enjoy themselves.  All sessions are taught by them so its easy to run.  You pick a course off the shelf (as it were) and they can make it what you want.  We've been going for years and have adapted their offering now to suit us.  They have centres all over and are reasonably priced, I think.  We use the Overstrand one in Norfolk.
Head of Geography
Co-Chair of GA Secondary Phase Committee

Evlinda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 08:42:51 PM »
I'm currently organising my 3rd GCSE residential for the summer- the first one i organised 2 years ago was to the FSC in Flatford Mill.  It was quite expensive but for the first one i thought it was worth it so i could get my head around organising something like this. The tutors we had were very good and we had 3 great days- rivers, coasts at Walton on the Naze and Ipswich looking at regeneration.  Because it was so expensive and I felt comfortable organising it myself, in Sept i took our yr 11 to Castleton (Peak District) and we did our own 3 day tour and we are doing something similar this year (staying in a youth hostel)- it does mean doing the fieldwork yourself, but i was able to shave £60 off the price and we've since had 100% take up.  It depends what time of yr you are going as many field centres give priority booking to exisiting customers and so you'll have to fit in around them.  You may find that this time you have to take the expensive option- but you could then do your own thing after that.  If you want anymore advice email me.  Good luck! :)
Head of Geography
2nd in charge of Humanities faculty

GZT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 08:47:09 PM »
Not much help perhaps, but we run our own and use High Close Youth Hostel in the Lake District. We get the kids to self cater and take them for fish and chips on one evening, always reasonably priced. I think the YHA do run staffed courses for geography in some youth hostels, I think I read it somewhere.

whiskeyhj

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 09:58:54 PM »
I've run a few fieldtrips however the majority have been self catered. This keeps the cost down and can be fun invoving students but it is also very tiring if you are doing the main bulk of teaching as well (if you opt for this take as many staff as they'll let you). Youth hostels can be really good basis for this (Helmsley, Lockton in North Yorks as well as Keswick have been very good in the past). Otherwise check out outdoor pursuit centres (sometimes do self catering or catered options), as people have already suggested there are centres like Kingswood and FSC but there are other facilities that can be found by searching around (we found the Rotary centre in Castleton like this). If you want any more help/advice then feel free to email!
Good luck with it though - it's always worth it when you get there!

anything