Author Topic: Ofsted this week 2  (Read 4300 times)

Sue W

Ofsted this week 2
« on: February 01, 2010, 06:53:31 PM »
Also got the call this morning and Ofsted'll be in Wed/Thurs!

Years 5 and 6 sorted.  Judith R - it coincides with year 6s doing the Mark and Marcelo mystery!!

Year 8s at various stages of a World Citizens unit - drawing/describing/analysing a population pyramid, using posters to investigate birth rates and the Canna lesson from Moving Stories KS3 Toolkit.

Need advice with year 7. they're in the middle of their 'Why is Seathwaite wetter than St Osyth?' enquiry.  They can locate and describe both places and have plotted the precipitation bar charts.  Now they need to learn the 3 causes of rainfall and complete labelled diagrams.  Could use the ideas in the geog.2 Teachers' File.  I'm sure there's been suggestions on how to do this in a more fun/active way.  Any ideas welcomed.

Also, myself, the History Co-ordinator and the KS3 English co-ordinator have been summoned to discuss 'Learning' in the school.  As this is ludicrously vague, has anyone else experience of having been probed about this during an Ofsted?  I'm quite happy to provide the inspector with examples of A4L, lesson planning, tracking progress but are they going to want to hear about PLTS, ECM, etc?

Judith R

• View Profile
Re: Ofsted this week 2
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 07:02:21 PM »
Hi Sue
Hope it goes well - glad to hear that Mark and Marcelo being used. Out of interest do you use all the cards with year 6? And the photos? That's good challenge eh!  ;)

I've got them to act out the different causes of rain - obviously can't keep rising up over a front so tend to leapfrog but they get the idea. Or how about providing some materials for model building and they have to write a set of instructions?
Will have a think.
CGeog
Lead Practitioner for Teaching and Learning
Key Practitioner for Geography
@JudithRoberts

edge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 08:38:48 PM »
We do rain by watching the BBC Bitesize GCSE clip (might be on the new learning zone website?) - its dead brief, the kids draw a quick labelled picture of each and then in small groups have to narrate the video when I play it with the sound off.
Head of Geography
Co-Chair of GA Secondary Phase Committee

Sue W

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 09:05:22 PM »
Judith - am working on differentiating Mark and Marcelo by removing some of the cards and am going to provide a set of structured questions on ppt.

Edge, thanks for idea about providing a voice over.  Could use it as plenary activity.

Alan Parkinson

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 07:39:51 PM »
Best wishes Sue :)

Judith R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 07:41:56 PM »
Hope it all goes well.  :)
CGeog
@JudithRoberts

Sue W

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 07:20:53 PM »
Thanks! Was first person observed this morning so at least could kind of relax for rest of day and hopefully won't be seen tomorrow.  Learning and teaching chat focussed on our roles, monitoring, CPD, A4L, present and future targets and staff morale due to our closure in 18 months' time.  We were very positive until we got to the last one!
Lesson went well and it was the rainfall one with year 7!!!  Opted for group research and envoying which was approved of.  Starter was a list of answers to which pairs of pupils had to provide a question - meant they were all involved.  Was observed for 25 minutes.
Can also recommend human population pyramids, as in the year 8 pupils were provided with a line of desks and a line of chairs and told to work as a team to turn themselves into a population pyramid.  Got the idea from SLN and they loved it, asking to do it again at end of lesson.  Shame that wasn't observed as well.
Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

Judith R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 09:36:57 PM »
I'm glad it went so well - I wondered how things were going. The ideas sound great!
CGeog
@JudithRoberts

anything