Author Topic: OFSTED this Wed/Thur  (Read 4175 times)

jazzclub

• View Profile
OFSTED this Wed/Thur
« on: February 01, 2010, 12:00:04 PM »
Morning all

We have had the call, which we expected. I am happy with all my lessons except my year 8 group.

My options are to finish my unit on coasts with a lesson which explores the reasons for and against coastal management or an introduction lesson on Brazil.

Any ideas or suggestions?

My initial thoughts are to go for Brazil as I find introduction lessons are easier to hit the expected ofsted criteria.

My worry is that inspectors will cross reference books with schemes of work and spot the missing lesson.

helen

• Global Moderator
  • Established Member
    • View Profile
    • Geography blog
Re: OFSTED this Wed/Thur
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 12:10:07 PM »
From my experience (Ofsted Oct 09) they will not want to (or have time) to cross reference SOW with books. What they will be looking for is evidence of progress (within the lesson!) as well as other things so I would be wondering if it wasn't easier to do your final lesson on coasts? Does depend on what the lesson involves of course.
Assistant Head and Geographer!
thegeographydepartment.blogspot.com
geographygcse.blogspot.com
twitter: HelenNurton

jazzclub

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 12:16:57 PM »
The lesson is an imaginary case study- Comparing two photos 90 years apart and then a mock council meeting where they decide a sea wall is the way forward. We then have 9/10 statements from people with interests in the area before they write it up in a newspaper report.

Actually- now I've written it down, I think I maybe convincing myself that this is the way forward.

My draw to the introduction to Brazil lesson was the fact that I can do lots of good questioning around some resources I picked up when I was in Brazil (a hat made from weaving plastic bags/a bag made from ring pulls/ a painting from a boy who lives in Rochinia)

Grrrrr!!!!

I really don't know.

annn1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 12:37:21 PM »
Brazil might be harder to show pupils reaching correct target level work.  Just a thought.
Ann

helen

• Global Moderator
  • Established Member
    • View Profile
    • Geography blog
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 01:22:07 PM »
Whilst your resources do sound very exciting, I'd be tempted to agree with Ann.
Let us know how it goes - good luck!
Assistant Head and Geographer!
thegeographydepartment.blogspot.com
geographygcse.blogspot.com
twitter: HelenNurton

GeoDave

• Global Moderator
  • Established Member
    • View Profile
    • GeoInteractive
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 01:47:22 PM »
Coastal lesson for three reasons:
1. Your integrity as a teacher - you have a planned lesson to finish within an organised scheme of work - presumably the lesson has value, so do it - OFSTED is not a good reason to just miss it out.
2. It is a good lesson from your description, with good resources and a clear outcome. Make it explicit how the pupils can achieve different levels in the main activity.
3. They are very, very unlikely to see you teach...  :)

Good luck and have a cold beer on standby (at home) for when they disappear around the corner.
Geographer