Author Topic: Cloudspotting  (Read 2664 times)

GeoDave

• Global Moderator
  • Established Member
    • View Profile
    • GeoInteractive
Cloudspotting
« on: April 28, 2009, 02:44:59 PM »
Cloudspotting
Documentary bringing to life Gavin Pretor-Pinney's international bestseller, The Cloudspotter's Guide, which draws on science, meteorology and mythology for a magical journey through the world of clouds. Presented by the obsessive and excitable Pretor-Pinney, it is no dry treatise on the science of nephology, but a playful trip through the varied beauty and distinctive personalities of the ten principal cloud types. From the ethereal cirrus to the terrifying cumulonimbus, the film tells the story of the short but eventful life of clouds, and their importance to our planet. We find out how immense quantities of water can stay up in the sky for so long and how lightning and thunder are created.

http://www.bbc.co.uk:80/programmes/b00k99th 
1.   Sun 3 May 2009  21:30  BBC Four
2.   Mon 4 May 2009  01:30  BBC Four
Geographer

Judith R

• View Profile
Re: Cloudspotting
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 03:47:17 PM »
Took the year 5 maths class I had to teach (!) outside to do some cloudspotting at the end of the lesson today (plenary to climate graphs). We had a lovely time.  ;D

CGeog
Lead Practitioner for Teaching and Learning
Key Practitioner for Geography
@JudithRoberts

Victoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Geogtastic
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 07:28:18 PM »
Aha, you beat me to it GeoDave.  What a shame that it is on BBC4 though... will have to iPlayer :(

GeoDave

• Global Moderator
  • Established Member
    • View Profile
    • GeoInteractive
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 07:43:16 PM »
As one of the very early members of the Cloud Appreciation Society, I get all the e-mails - still got the badge somewhere.....ought to look it out and wear it whilst watching the programme.  ;D
Geographer

David Rogers

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 11:27:18 AM »
I hope you also wore your pirate hat Alan!

anything