Author Topic: When is it time to move on?  (Read 2860 times)

gilmoregirl

• Established Member
    • View Profile
When is it time to move on?
« on: April 26, 2009, 05:31:37 PM »
 ???

Hi,

Am currently confused, have seen a great opportunity and trying to decide what to do. How many years do you think you should do in your first school before you move on? I have been here two years and in that time done quite a bit more than my standard job but should i leave yet. Wasn't planning on it but should i let a good thing pass me by?
Head of Geography
11-16 School
Mum and Superhero!

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
Re: When is it time to move on?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 05:33:59 PM »
Two years is OK. So's 3-5. Anymore than that and I reckon they've got you for life :-)
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

Judith R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 06:30:08 PM »
Do what's right for you...
This may go against the perceived wisdom, but in my opinion most people are going to have a very long career. Someone in their mid twenties is likely to be working for 40 years, so don't be in too much of a hurry to get 'ahead'. I started teaching 24 years ago and have had 4 teaching jobs so far, and 6 years as a ranger/education officer at a country park (and reconstructed Anglo-Saxon village!). I couldn't have planned for this, but took opportunities as they came up. All the experiences I've had have made me the teacher (and person) I am now. I'd only been in one school for 1 1/2 years when a great opportunity came up - still there 11 years later.
You've done 2 years and no doubt learned a great deal. If this opportunity is really what you want why not go for it!
CGeog
Lead Practitioner for Teaching and Learning
Key Practitioner for Geography
@JudithRoberts

Stephen Schwab

• View Profile
    • Visit the New Geography Teacher's Discussion Group by Clicking Here!
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 10:49:56 PM »
If its right for you you'll know inside, if you are unsure maybe its not your time, only you can decide.
GA Consultant.
Teaching and Learning Consultant.
GA SPC Member.

Andoca

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 07:40:05 PM »
I may be a bit late with this...but I am going to add my 2 pennyworth still!

A lot of heart searching goes on when you consider a change of job.  You will spend more time on that than on a lot of other major decisions in life.  However (although it involves a fair bit of work) you only need to actually make a decision about a new job when they actually offer it to you.

Send off for details...the more information you have the more informed your decision.

Visit the school..( I applied and withdrew from an interview and have never regretted my decision once), but I gained a huge amount of insight from the whole process...not only about the school, but also it helped me decide my route onward.

If called go on interview, go with an open mind and interview them...is this the place for you? It is a 2 way process.

Then (and only then) you are given the final chance to say whether or not you are still a firm candidate.  That is the point where you have to make your decision.

I have to agree with the comments that Judith made, having a master plan is not the way to go.  Be open to suggestions and ideas. I had game plan...for the first few years in school.  I abandoned it aged 28.  Recently I met up with a head I worked for a long time ago and he is still laughing about my interview with him..I was dreadful!  What I didn't know was that he had another post yet to be advertised which was perfect for me....I failed on the one hand but walked into the other job.  It was one of the best jobs I have ever had and the head is still a good friend.

You never know where a job will lead you...or how it will change your life.

Whatever your decision...good luck! :)

Head of geog in a 9-13 middle school.
Assistant headteacher.
Mother, worrier, football fan, rainbow chaser.

anything