Author Topic: Go C[pd]ompare  (Read 16010 times)

LoopyLou

• View Profile
Re: Go C[pd]ompare
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 09:29:57 PM »
GCSE Geography OCR B Get Ahead

This course was really useful in giving specific information on each of the three components of the course - Sustainable Decision Making, Controlled Assessment and Key Geographical Themes.  I gained some really useful ideas for the controlled assessments and it was really useful going through and practise marking past scripts.  I would certainly recommend this course as a must for anyone doing this spec.
Head of Geography and Lead teacher for gifted and talented

Stephen Schwab

• View Profile
    • Visit the New Geography Teacher's Discussion Group by Clicking Here!
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2010, 09:45:50 PM »
Many thanks! :D
I wondered if this thread was dormant or extinct... just dormant and now active again. ;)
Very helpful, any more C[pd] stories?
GA Consultant.
Teaching and Learning Consultant.
GA SPC Member.

fred

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 01:17:44 PM »
AQA B Controlled Assessment
This coursew was invaluable for planning and marking controlled assessment. Make sure you go on it before you start the controlled assessment.

ABG

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2010, 08:45:34 PM »
I went on a Lighthouse course a few weeks ago on becoming a HOD. Very informative with lots of helpful hints on filling in the SEF and also a heads up on the new APP for Geography - will it happen? Apparently we are just waiting for the white paper to be published and then full steam ahead!
It's nearly the weekend!

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2010, 08:49:29 PM »
I went on a Lighthouse course a few weeks ago on becoming a HOD. Very informative with lots of helpful hints on filling in the SEF and also a heads up on the new APP for Geography - will it happen? Apparently we are just waiting for the white paper to be published and then full steam ahead!

Hmmm - the white paper has been published hasn't it? (and doesn't it say something about there not being a need for a SEF anymore?)
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

ABG

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 06:52:16 PM »
The lady who took the course was one of the people who put the APP together so I am just relaying what she said. There will be a scaled down version of the SEF as we know it.
It's nearly the weekend!

Stephen Schwab

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 06:07:08 PM »
Thanks to new contributors. :D
I hope people still go out  on CpD if yes share the good/ bad reviews here!
GA Consultant.
GA SPC Member.

bluemanc

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2010, 02:30:33 PM »
 I went on the Edexcel B GCSE Maximising achievement course in Leeds at the end of Nov it was really good, gave us loads of ideas and more importantly reassurance 'from the horses mouth' so to speak! The guy who ran it was the chief examiner for the controlled assessment and was great about the levels of control etc - everyone came away feeling much more relaxed about it!! He also showed us the results plus stuff and the exams and some great websites. A really good course I would recommend to anyone doing this GCSE.

Stephen Schwab

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2011, 11:08:46 AM »
Its 2011, keep the reviews coming :D
GA Consultant.
GA SPC Member.

fred

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 10:37:39 AM »
We had Paul Cornish (regular contributor on here) come into school to do a whole deaprtment training session on using Google Earth. It was excellent. It was hands on and gave real practical ideas to transfer into the classroom. Paul was also able to tailor it to both our skill level and needs.
It was a cost effective way of training the whole department.

Stephen Schwab

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2011, 03:38:03 PM »
Its 2011/12, capitation is tight, training budgets are tight.
If you've been on training that ticks boxes or boxes clever then share the secret here.
Or if you've been on inset that was an upset, share the story here.
That way we all are better informed as to where our funds could be well spent. :D
GA Consultant.
GA SPC Member.

Victoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Geogtastic
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2011, 08:21:58 PM »
I attended the RGS Subject Knowledge Update on UK Flood Hazard Management, led by Simon Oakes, last week and it was absolutely excellent.  Despite Simon's concerns, the pace was just right, and there was a good balance between newish theory and case studies and practical ideas and activities to use in the classroom.   

This was the first in a series of Subject Knowledge Updates (others being advertised currently are Globalisation and Weather & Climate).

At £40 for a 2-hour session (which includes refreshments and a delegate pack with a CD of all the resources) it's excellent value for money for London (or nearby) teachers.  I travelled down from Derbyshire for a 4.30 start, so cover and train fares made it quite expensive.  However, there are already plans for some of the events to be repeated outside London, and discussions are underway about the possibility of more repeat events. 

Check out the Teachers' CPD page of the RGS site for more information http://www.rgs.org/WhatsOn/Training+and+CPD/Teacher+CPD.htm

Evlinda

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 07:08:59 PM »
I went on the OCR A2 Level getting ahead course last Wednesday- was really useful to go through the A2 papers from the summer and get feedback. The mini marking tasks were also good to moderate my marking (without having to become a full blown marker). Lots of advice and tips were given for the exams and teaching units/case studies and they also answered a number of AS questions too.

Very useful- i have a feedback meeting this week with my dept.
Head of Geography
2nd in charge of Humanities faculty

nik986

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2011, 03:00:56 PM »
I went on the AQA A feedback session for GCSE. Very useful and informative especially when it comes to setting up and marking on CA. I would recommend if only to answer any specific questions you may have directly.

Plus lunch weren't half bad!  ;D

podders

• @mattpodbury
    • View Profile
    • Online Geography Resources
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2012, 06:54:03 AM »
Out recent 'Practical Learning Technologies in the Classroom' inset day was excellent and most of the resources that were used can be found on this Google site. Sessions are on the left hand side.

https://sites.google.com/a/intst.eu/istmarch30/home

Matt
Geographer