Author Topic: Tips for demonstrating pupil progress  (Read 5025 times)

Simon

• View Profile
Tips for demonstrating pupil progress
« on: November 03, 2009, 07:25:19 PM »
I’m attempting to put together a list of tips for demonstrating pupil progress in a lesson. In the drive to move from good to outstanding, our SLT are keen for us to sign up to the mantra that we need to be able to demonstrate that all students must make good progress in our lessons. Sadly they are less forthcoming about exactly how that might happen.

I’d be reluctant to boil down all the complex social and psychological interactions that make learning effective into this list but I’m hoping that a few simple tips possible ways to measure pupil progress might make some staff feel a little bit more comfortable with this exceptionally tricky business of demonstrating progress in a one hour lesson.

Please add your thoughts for potential strategies to this thread and or this Google Doc 
http://bit.ly/359Ils that we could all share within our networks.

1.   Ask all students to respond to key question at the beginning of the lesson. “Flooding is always a problem for people in Bangladesh.” Return to key question at the end of learning activity and ask students to respond again or reflect on their new thoughts
“Before I thought X, now I think Y.”

2.   Display image(s) at the start and ask all students to respond along the lines of “I do know X about this image, I don’t know Y”. Repeat at end of learning and debrief differences in response. Is the knowledge more sophisticated, are the questions of a better quality? Possibly collated on a web space like Voice thread.

3.   Ask all students at the beginning of a lesson for the “5 fingers of confidence” in a skill due to take place in a lesson e.g. “How confident are you in using four figure grid references?” Repeat at end of learning activity and ask who feels more confident.

4.   Use traffic light responses in the student planner during the lesson in relation to the tasks that contribute to the lesson objective. Use student responses to guide your questioning and support. Possibly set further learning activities for homework that are for the greens, ambers and reds (but of course, by the end there will be no reds ;)

5.   If you have them - use Activ Expression voting pads to gain diagnostic feedback on student learning to guide your interventions and get a feel for the progress students are making.

6.   At the start of the lesson ask students to write down what they know about X topic. Complete your planned learning activities and as part of the plenary activities ask students to now add X number of new ideas to their original list.  What has been most interesting/revealing and why?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 09:00:29 PM by Simon »

Kim

• Established Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tips for demonstrating pupil progress
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 09:57:58 PM »
I think you need to make it very clear at the start of the lesson what you are hoping the students will achieve. They need to know what they are expected to demonstrate by the end of the lesson to show progress and learning - the success criteria. Then by breaking the lesson down in to segments along the way and checking learning you should help demonstrate progress. I have just read this back and not sure this makes sense but I think I know what I mean  :o

Graham

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 03:25:54 AM »
I agree strong and clear Learning Objectives for all. I would think that sometimes the progress shown might be small and incremental.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 03:28:01 AM by Graham »
Assistant Headteacher.
Cardinal Newman Catholic School, Hove
C.Geog
GASQM 'Centre of Excellence'

Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 08:37:26 AM »
Thanks Kim and Graham, a good suggestion! Would you be able to provide an example of your thinking? I know some people find it useful to use a must, should, could approach to lesson objectives... Was this in line with what you thought?

Graham

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 10:44:34 AM »

Yes Simon, but try not to make too many Learning Objectives in one lesson. Think about not just content but skills as well- these often can be more measurable than just subject knowledge on the smaller scale.

Assistant Headteacher.
Cardinal Newman Catholic School, Hove
C.Geog
GASQM 'Centre of Excellence'

Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 04:12:44 PM »
Up to 13 ideas now... any more ideas to add here?

http://bit.ly/359Ils

RG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2009, 06:15:40 PM »
Do you need a Gmail account to access the Google doc?

Ryan

Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 09:37:53 PM »
Hi Ryan,

Yes you do, but if you or anyone else is thinking about getting a Google account, is a painless (and essential) procedure!

https://www.google.com/accounts/NewAccount