Author Topic: Why do people live in areas of tectonic activity?  (Read 3055 times)

Pauline

• View Profile
Why do people live in areas of tectonic activity?
« on: November 02, 2009, 10:18:52 AM »
I have just been told that I have a lesson observation later this week. The focus will be AFL. I am really at the end of the scheme of work but am not quite ready to start the next topic. My mind has gone completely blank. I should really be looking at why despite the disadvantages people still live in areas of tectonic activty.It is a very large mixed ability group so I really do not want to attempt group work. Was thinking about a card sort but seems abit basic. I know there are some video clips Geography at th Movies but beyond this I am really struggling. I would be grateful for any ideas. Thanks. :o

fred

• Established Member
    • View Profile
Re: Why do people live in areas of tectonic activity?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 10:38:43 AM »
I usually use some props and get pupils to work out the reason why people live near tectonic activity and then also to decide whether it relates to earthquakes, volcanoes or both.
For example - from the prop of some soil pupils work out that it is fertile soil and it occurs in volcanic areas

Some of the other props include a post card from vesuvius, a photo of family, a bottle of evian, a diagram of an earthquake building, a first aid kit, etc

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 03:35:41 PM »
Thanks for that and any more help would be gratefully received. I had the class today and they were horrible. I feel even more nervous now!

whiskeyhj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 07:01:07 PM »
What about putting in part of a practice exam question then peer/self marking using mark scheme - may not take all of the lesson but could be good for assessing learning taking place?

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 08:44:47 PM »
Thanks - they are a very weak year 9 but I could try and make up a levelled question. ::)

Plene

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 09:13:38 PM »
As a starter -
Could you start with them in  small groups/pairs  producing a spider diagram giving the reasons why they/friends/family live in their local area. - family connections - work related - cheaper housing....
Would those reasons be the same in any UK location? urban/rural area
Highlight the advantages/disadvantages of living in that area.

Then move on to areas of tectonic activity - I like the idea of props to find out advantages/reasons
Imagine that your family has to relocate to an area of tectonic activity but one member of the family is uncertain -
Half the class write a letter to convince them that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages
Half the class write a letter to convince them that the disadvantages outweigh the advantages
Plenary - Peer assess -in pairs read /compare letters giving opposite viewpoint
Class vote

aberrantbee

• ollismark
    • View Profile
    • AQA A Ning
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 09:18:07 PM »
I have one or two powerpoints at school, email me and I'll bounce them back tomorrow. mark.ollis@st-bees-school.co.uk
Head of Geography
Teacher of Outdoor Ed
Father, Outdoorsman, Fettler
Twitter=ollismark

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 09:24:40 PM »
Thank you so much that would be so helpful. My email is tom.birch2@fsmail.net
Many, many thanks

aberrantbee

• ollismark
    • View Profile
    • AQA A Ning
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 02:02:10 PM »
sent
Head of Geography
Teacher of Outdoor Ed
Father, Outdoorsman, Fettler
Twitter=ollismark

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 07:13:07 PM »
Thanks so much for the ideas - will definately try them and feed back tomorrow. Aberrantbee not sure whata happened but nothing has arrived. Thanks for trying though.

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 08:39:23 PM »
Sorry back again!! I have taken ideas on board and want to do a peer assessment at end of lesson. Have decided not to use letter because did something with one earlier on. Thought I would give diagram of an area with a volcano and ask question like - Using the diagram and your own knowledge explain why people may choose to live near a volcano.
I want to give them ideas about what the different levelled answers would look like but finding it really hard - it would be much easier if it was a GCSE question. I know for level 3 you would just be listing facts and not explaining but how can I explain the differences at levels 4,5 and 6 without making it really complicated. Thanks !!!!!!

jlumbis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 09:45:22 PM »
I may be wrong but...

level 3 a few labels of the diagram  - maybe 3
level 4 - 5 labels to the correct places - ie describe  - fertile soil
level 5  - labels that explain - higher end annotations - fertile soil that is good for farming
level 6  - annotations that involve a comparison - fertile soil that is good for farming, unlike in...so they have more food etc

But i'm not always great with levels...so check with someone else!

Good luck

Victoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Geogtastic
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 10:22:26 PM »
I've only just seen this thread, and have only skim-read it, but I am not sure why you need to have a "levelled question" in order to show that you are using AfL.  If success criteria are shared (or better still, devised by the students) before students answer the question, then self-marking, peer-marking, reading out answers and other students commenting on what's good and what could be improved, etc. are all AfL strategies.  Two stars and a wish might be a primary school idea, but works well when students are assessing each other's work.  Even the traffic light cards, or thumbs up/middle/down to demonstrate understanding count as AfL strategies.

Furthermore, there is no reason (at least from an AfL point of view), why you need to be doing an exam-style question in the first place... 

Why not present some ideas/viewpoints, etc.  and students could do a role play (with them setting success criteria and then commenting on other groups' performances)?  The Mt St Helen's song is great, and we use the Geographical Eye programme about Merapi (following which students consider why people live near volcanoes, and also the three options available to the people in the video - which would they choose if they were in Santi's situation, and why?

Pauline

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 07:18:33 PM »
Just wanted to say a massive thank you to this fantastic community for the support you provide. AFL in lesson was fine - inspector liked idea of yours Plene of why people would stay in local area. Also did levelled question but again he said he would have been happy enough without levels and perhaps just an explanation of what would make a good answer. So why am I sat here with a glass of wine - 5 students who were intent on ruining my lesson. Ok so I did everything I could think of - moved them etc and have since phoned home etc ... but still a knock to your confidence. Oh well.... tomorrow is another day....but genuine heartfelt thanks for all suggestions.

Plene

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 10:47:06 PM »
Glad to have helped - will try my own idea later thus term!