Author Topic: AQA B - CA - Cheddar?!!  (Read 1385 times)

Janey

• View Profile
AQA B - CA - Cheddar?!!
« on: April 09, 2012, 08:30:24 PM »
It's that time of year again when I start to panic about where to take my Year 10s (60 of them) for their CA fieldwork.

The topic I have decided on is:

'Investigate how tourism can create challenges for people and/or communities' and I am thinking about taking them to Cheddar.

They will do...questionnaires, environmental quality surveys, traffic counts.....

Any other suggestions?
Does anyone else do Cheddar?  Do you visit any attractions or just do the fieldwork?

Any advice gratefully received!  I need a sounding board.  It took me three days to decide on the topic!

Judith R

• View Profile
Re: AQA B - CA - Cheddar?!!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 08:45:10 PM »
How about pedestrian counts on paths?
They could look for evidence that the 'challenges' are being managed and do detailed annotations on photos.
Conflict matrix for different user groups?

Is there any secondary data about tourist numbers?
CGeog
Lead Practitioner for Teaching and Learning
Key Practitioner for Geography
@JudithRoberts

edge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 09:08:52 PM »
You are allowed to 'contextualise' the question so I'd simplify it into a hypothesis for the kids to investigate and prove/disprove.  I was going to do this title, but we've gone for the coasts one instead - we were going to investigate the following hypothesis: The London Eye causes more challenges than benefits.  Super simple and lots of scope for investigation.  Make sure the kids can do at least five forms of data presentation including three complex skills. 
Head of Geography
Co-Chair of GA Secondary Phase Committee

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 09:42:20 PM »
Agree with Edge's hypothesis being sound - I would probably add a simpler hypothesis for those who need it (XXX creates challenges for the local area (and people?)). You could also go down the route of XXX creates challenges which need managing or the Management of the challenges caused by tourism in XXX is effective. Or similar.

I'd get them to take photos as well of course. Alongside their EQAs and Traffic counts at the same site to allow them to add all three bits of data to maps and get advanced skill coolness (especially with proportional flow lines for the traffic data).

In terms of secondary data, some might want to look at house prices. These can be turned into quite easy to do proportional diagrams by simply using the percentile resize option in Word...

We got hold of some data for tourist visits in Aldeburgh (and then assumed it would be similar for Southwold where we actually did the fieldwork...) broken down by month. It was actually the number of people who had gone into the tourist info centre, but as a surrogate for general spread of tourism over the year it was pretty sound. We used to encourage them to scatter graph it against average temperature - which suggested that the challenges (in this case) were likely to be greater during warmer months. Of course, that was for a seaside resort so they would be. I assume you'd see a similar thing in Cheddar? Getting the data might be the problem fwiw - but once you've got it you can pretty much use it year on year I reckon - and as a scatter graph with lobf it's another simple advanced skill - and one which lets the higher level conclusions get going imo.
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

anything