Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
New spec fieldwork

Author Topic: New spec fieldwork  (Read 1138 times)

Simon

• View Profile
New spec fieldwork
« on: January 29, 2017, 10:16:58 AM »
Hello folks,

After a bit of advice from the collective brain here... We are currently teaching the new OCR B GCSE specification and are going to be teaching the distinctive landscapes topic (rivers and coasts) over the next few weeks and so planned to do a rivers field trip around Easter time.

If anyone has already carried out some fieldwork with the new assessment arrangements in mind I'd be super keen to know...
What did you do? How many fieldwork techniques did you ask students to complete? How much data did you collect? What did you do with it back in the classroom?

Very interested to hear your thoughts!

Big thanks in anticipation,

Simon

Maddie87

• View Profile
Re: New spec fieldwork
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 09:12:46 PM »
Hi if you message me your email I will send you my booklet the students did for coasts for ocr b.

nicko427

• View Profile
Re: New spec fieldwork
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 10:06:38 AM »
I'm with AQA and so seeing as they will have to write it up in an exam (with marks only worth between 4 and 8) we've kept the focus really tight, so for rivers just looked at how width, depth and velocity changes over the course of a river (and went to 4 / 5 sites from source down to the mouth) And then we hope this will mean less confusion and can practice it and is clear.

At each site we also got the kids to measure pebble size, wildlife through kick sampling and gradients of the valleys so that they had had a go, and might give them some exam questions on it (for the part of the exam when they get asked to analyze results / suggest methods for an unseen location) but they won't talk about it in the exam as what they did as can get too confusing

anything