Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
edexcel A Sophisticated presentation techniques

Author Topic: edexcel A Sophisticated presentation techniques  (Read 1871 times)

zcsaa44

• Established Member
    • View Profile
edexcel A Sophisticated presentation techniques
« on: January 18, 2017, 03:59:34 PM »
A rather dull post topic but someone might be able to help.

What counts as sophisticated for edexcel A on the CA, moved schools and first time on this spec. At moderation last night I was told that the methods I have used do not count as sophisticated, specifically proportional pie charts and pictographs located on a map of the area. I was then told that a simple compatative bar chart would count as 2 pieces of data are being plotted, this seem slightly rediculous to me as the bar graphs seem to be the definition of not sophisticated.

Anyone with experience of this, the website has a forum that has not been used in 4 months and the only posts I can find on it are from 2012, things might have changed. 

Maddie87

• View Profile
Re: edexcel A Sophisticated presentation techniques
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 05:46:17 PM »
I have classed sophistication things that are beyond excel so I would say if a student has made pie charts and then located them on a map to essentially make a simple gis map as sophisticated. Although it depends those that just dump pie charts on a map with no thought would not be appropriate data presentation. But if they were clearly showing spatial data then yes sophisticated and appropriate.

I class any use of gis sophisticated, wordle and any graph which has been changed and manulipate outside of excel as sophisticated.

I had no disagreements last year from my moderator on my marking so that is what I am going with.

Victoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Geogtastic
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 07:46:25 PM »
I'm not familiar with Edexcel, but AQA publish a list of techniques they deem to be 'basic' and 'complex'.  Might be worth getting in touch with the exam board directly (assuming Jon Wolton is still their geography man, he's very good at responding to queries) for clarification if you can't find anything on the website. 

Rob Chambers

• Established Member
  • Head of Geography
    • View Profile
    • Geobytes - Online Portal
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 07:38:25 PM »
Hi - if you can look at the examiners report for the controlled assessment from last year they give a very clear statement of sophisticated techniques and what they would consider count as this. I can't locate it off hand - but it is definitely there as when I was doing the department exam result review I always include feedback and points from the examiners report and that was one of them.

zcsaa44

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 01:57:42 PM »
Thanks for the responses, I did think about emailing the exam board to check although I no longer teach the class so am less concerned and the school have been doing the spec for a while so I will just follow what they say (as much as I cannot believe proportional pie charts are less sophisticated than comparative bar graphs)